After analyzing runway stills from plenty of Spring 2010 shows, here are the top ten trends that I see dominating the first few months of 2010.
10. Obviously neutral colors will be back this spring. Just about everyone from Alexander Wang to Acne sent down at least one model wearing these classic colors. The added touch this season will be to wear your whites and khakis with black sandals. This picture if from Michael Kors.
9. Sheer, another trend that seems to make its way onto the runway every spring, is back again. Whether found in tights, shirts, vests or dresses, anything sheer should be purchased and worn this spring. Don’t forget, though, that you’re in public. The appropriate undergarments should be purchased as well. This look from Charlotte Ronson’s Spring 10 collection shows how sheer biker shorts can be worn without looking completely naked.
8. The tribal influence is back again. I could wear this exact outfit from Sophie Theallet’s spring 10 collection. Actually, if I had the money I would BUY the whole collection (it’s just that good and I love her!). Whether the inspiration is from the East or South, this trend is definitely a hot one to consider, especially if you didn’t last year.
7. The Rock n’ Roll/ Black leather trend from this past season will hang around for the spring as well (yes!) Don’t fear if you’re not ready to don fru-fru dresses, lace and all things girly this spring. Ann Demeulemeester’s spring 10 collection is very dark and edgy. With creations in only black, white or a combination of the two, this collection is perfect for the girl who doesn’t think she has to wear a bold color to make a statement. I would have loved to include a picture, but the headdresses on the female models scare me! This picture is from Balenciagia.
6. Personally, spring has always been the time to try new, fun prints. This year designers are mixing them in a new way. Duro Olowu, a print maven created a line complete with crazy mixed prints like this one. This is a trend I am still warming up to. Hopefully I can post my successes on the blog!
5. Maybe watching Olivia Palermo of The City stomp around in platform heels first attracted me to this style of shoe. They’re going to be huge this season, as Unique and Versace have featured them on their spring 2010 runways.
4. I read somewhere that the color for 2010 will be turquoise. That’s exciting, but I think coral might just have more of an impact this season. Luckily both of the colors work well with my skintone! Sonia Rykiel and J.Mendel incorporated this color as did many other designers. This dress is by BCBG Max Azria.
3. Put down that flat iron! Textured/Curly hair is going to be very popular this season, which is great for me because now I can get away with not torching my hair every week. All of the models at the Luca Luca show sported curly styles. It definitely gives them a more romantic, playful aura.
2. I believe the quote from The September Issue went like this: ‘Ruffles for spring! What a novel idea.” However girly clothing was all over the runway. I absolutely love this look by Erin Fetherston. I’m really inspired to buy another feminine jacket.
1. Lastly, ladylike purses were spotted all over the runways in New York. I only have a slouchy leather bag (B.Makowsky) and a pink Longchamp for spring. However, I never have bags for days when I’m not going to class or the library. Here’s a croc bag by Chloe.
Some of the trends I’ve noticed on the runways are styles that I hope to never have to see in person. Like this number from Chloe…